How Do I Get an EIN, Employer Identification Number?

EIN or the Employer Identification Number is required when you start a new business. This is the number that the IRS uses to identify the business. There are various ways to apply for your Federal Tax Identification Number including online. 

The IRS offers an interview style application that is easy to use.  After the form has been validated, you can receive your number immediately by paying extra or you can wait for it to arrive in the mail. Keep it handy--DO NOT LOSE IT: your bank will need it when you open a business checking account, and your lending institution and business credit card companies will want the number when you apply for credit. This number will be used to track your business credit in the future. This number is your permanent number. Although you can get the number immediately, it will take up to two weeks before your number becomes part of the IRS's permanent records. You have to wait until this occurs before you can file an electronic tax return, make an electronic tax payment, or pass an IRS Taxpayer Identification Number matching program.

Click here to go to the IRS website...Internal Revenue ServiceThe IRS has a 36-page booklet available titled "Understanding Your EIN." The book can be downloaded here.

Back to Home Page

Business Structure Pros Cons FAQs

Start a Business in Your State

Every state has its own rules for setting up a business. If you wish to find out more about what the state you live in requires to start a business, click on the right state below for more information.

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington, D.C. West Virginia Wisconsin, Wyoming.