Get an Index Card and Collect a New Idea Every Day to Build a Marketing Tips Library
- Build a marketing tips library by getting a set of index cards and writing down one new marketing idea every day. If might come from Google Alerts, your own creativity, your competitor or a completely different source. Make a habit of capturing one marketing idea a day.
- Urge and promote referrals. If you are shy about asking for the business, you need to overcome it and get good at it. All of your employees, if you have employees, need to become good at this. Our favorite examples are insurance agents. Have you ever known an insurance agent who did not ask you to refer him or her to all of your friends? We think it is the first thing they learn and it works. You use it too. If you are strictly an internet business, offer something that you will give away for a referral. Ask for a recommendation. Do not let this type of change slip by without acting on it.
- If you have employees, hold a monthly marketing meeting to go over the plan and to ask for new marketing tips. Give a prize for the best tip of the month.
- When you are on vacation or away on business, visit your counterparts in another city. Depending on your business, you may never compete with that other business so that the owner and you might be quite open about discussing what marketing ideas work and what ideas work even better. Obviously, if you are an internet business, doing business all over the work, it would be tough to get another internet person to spill the beans. If you have a kitchen cabinet business in Indianapolis and are visiting San Diego, California, chances are the cabinet people there will be open to talking with you. If you have a retail business of any type, always, always visit retailers in other cities to learn what they are doing and to look at their displays. Always buy out of town newspapers when you are out of town and look at the ads to discover new marketing tips. Look at the Yellow Pages in your hotel room as well for ideas that have not penetrated your home market.
- Constantly look at your fee structure and monitor, if possible, what your competition is doing.
- Offer a credit card program.
- Offer a discount program for regular clients.
- Keep your media lists updated. If your business is using one of the internet public relations services, try to find out where it is going. One association spent a rather large sum of money with an internet public relations site, which boasted of thousands upon thousands of media outlets. After all was said and done, the association did a Google search and could not find its press releases listed anywhere.
- Even if you hire a public relations person, develop your own skills in this area and then apply them. You will see opportunities that they miss.
<1> <2> <3> <4> <5
Jump from Marketing Tips to Small Business Marketing